By Matthew D Duncan.
Today, I received a letter in the mail from the Ontario Libertarian Party, and in it, I was surprised to see that they added “recall election legislation” to their platform. Passing legislation to give the power of recall elections in Ontario is one of the stupidest ideas ever, because that is just a huge honey trap that the left wing parties, the militant left and mainstream media will utilize against any elected conservative parties.
Here are the consequences of a recall election:
1. Constitutional democracy is completely nullified.
2. A recall could take place anytime a conservative government, or if any other party is elected with a majority vote.
3. The mainstream media, NGO’s and unions would lobby and campaign for recall elections anytime a conservative government is formed.
5. Elections would be exhaustive at the taxpayers expense.
Someone I know suggested that recalls would maybe be a good idea if they removed the leader of the party, instead of the party itself, but I believe that removing the leader and not the party, could also be dangerous.
1. What if the elected was a great leader, that is diligent and competent, as well as being the most qualified for the position?
2. What if the elected leader wasn’t the underlining problem, within the party?
3. What if the elected leader was removed, only to have an even worse replacement thrown into the position?
I firmly believe that recall elections are just a bad idea, any way you look at it.
In the case of Kathleen Wynne, the more reasonable approach to obtaining another election would be to put pressure on the OPP investigations on Kathleen Wynne, because that respects democracy, and at the same time upholds the rule of law.